One of my favorite parts of any wedding day I photograph is the very beginning, when the bride and groom are getting ready surrounded by loved ones. A sweet kind of jitters fills the air, one of anticipation & love. When preparing for your big day, I know there’s a million things running through your mind, so I’ve created this guide to provide some ease to this process and a checklist for you to refer to as you plan the best day of your life. Read on for my tips about getting ready on your wedding day ♥︎
Crafting a Thoughtful Schedule
Prepare for your day by working with your planner and/or photographer to create a well-thought-out schedule. By collaborating closely with your photographer, you can create a timeline that allows for a relaxed and enjoyable morning. Ensure the schedule accounts for various events and details to capture, including the ones I’ve listed later on in this article.
Additionally, you want to make sure that you have time to really soak in time with your loved ones should you choose to get ready with a parent or your wedding party! This allows your photographer to capture meaningful, authentic moments to start. Candid shots during the getting ready process result in heartfelt and genuine images that reflect the joy and camaraderie of the day.
The getting ready stage sets the tone for your entire day. Embrace the experience, laugh with your loved ones, and revel in the joyous atmosphere. Your positive energy will shine through in your photographs!
Cherishing Details & Moments
When it comes to the little details & the moments you want to remember, read on for what I recommend you include while getting ready on your wedding day.
- Bouquet and Boutonniere Shots: Showcase the beauty of your floral arrangements with close-up shots of your bouquet and the groom’s boutonniere.
- Ring and Jewelry Shots: Have a moment for your rings and other jewelry to capture intricate details and add a touch of elegance to your photos.
- Customized Attire Details: Highlight any personalized or custom details on your attire, such as monograms, embroidery, or special stitching. These elements make your outfit uniquely yours.
- Invitations and Stationery: Include shots of your wedding invitations, programs, and any other stationery. These details add a touch of sophistication to your wedding story.
- Shoe and Accessory Showcase: Display your wedding shoes along with any accessories like veils, hairpieces, or cufflinks. These shots can be artistic and showcase your style.
- Room Decor and Ambiance: Capture the ambiance of the getting ready spaces by photographing the room decor, ambient lighting, and any special touches that set the mood. Make sure that your room is tidy for photos, too.
- Family Heirlooms: If you have family heirlooms or sentimental items, incorporate them into your photos. It could be a piece of jewelry, a handkerchief, or anything that holds special meaning.
- Bridal Party Toast: Commence the day with a toast to celebrate the bond between you and your bridesmaid. Capture the laughter and camaraderie as you share this special moment together.
- Gift Exchange: Consider exchanging thoughtful gifts with your bridesmaids, groomsmen, family members, or even your partner. These moments of gift-giving are emotionally rich and make for heartwarming photos.
- First Look with Bridesmaids, Parents, or Grandparents: Share a special first look with your loved ones. Capture their expressions as they see you in your wedding attire for the first time – a moment filled with love and pride.
- Letter Reading: Write heartfelt letters to your partner and have a quiet moment reading them. Your photographer can capture the raw emotions and expressions as you take in each other’s words.
Celebrate the Journey
The biggest piece of advice I have is to savor every moment of this incredible journey. Your wedding day is a celebration of love, and your getting ready moments are a prelude to the magical day that awaits. Enjoy the entire process, and let the day shine through in every photograph.
As you step into the getting ready phase of your wedding day, remember that it’s a time to cherish, celebrate, and create beautiful memories. By incorporating a thoughtful schedule, exploring details, and embracing a variety of events, your getting ready experience will not only be visually stunning but also a reflection of the joy, love, and radiant beginnings that define your special day. Find more inspo for getting ready shots below!
I would love to be the person to capture these special moments in your life! Let’s chat – inquire HERE 🙂